Revisiting the Past

on

Are you guilty of constantly revisiting the past? I know I can have my moments where revisiting the past becomes an issue. I mean it is okay to remember and learn from past mistakes but is it our mistakes that define us or what we learn from them. I hope because of some of the mistakes that I have made that I have become a better person, however when I revisit only to condemn myself or put myself in a negative light I am hurting myself. I don’t have to keep revisiting the shame of my past because God’s grace, His sacrifice on the cross, has freed me from this.

Why is it that the Creator of all things can forgive me yet I can’t forgive myself? Forgiveness equals Freedom! I long for this freedom and the peace and joy that comes with it. When I don’t forgive myself I will revisit the shame of my past and I will continue to live in bondage preventing God to fully utilize me.

When we learn from our mistakes, which we all make, and we set our eyes on the future rather than the past we can discover who we are meant to be and actually make a difference. By doing what God has called us to do we can affect change in the people around us and the world. Granted we may not always be around to see it but nevertheless it is happening.


God help me to stop looking at my past, help me to see me as you see me and use me for your purpose. May I not seek the things of the world but the things that will bring you glory and joy. May I do your will for the good of the kingdom. Please bring people in my life to help during this journey, ones that will mentor to me and ones that I can mentor too. We are a new creation in you God! Thank you for your loving grace and all the good you have brought out of a life filled with mistakes and shame.

Amen


Here is another prayer that a pastor friend of mine found. It seems to be popular on the internet however, I have never seen it.


May God bless us with discomfort at easy answers, half-truths, and superficial relationships, so that we may live deep within our hearts.

May God bless us with anger at injustice, oppression, and exploitation of people, so that we may work for justice, freedom and peace.

May God bless us with tears to shed for those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation and war, so that we may reach out our hands to comfort them and turn their pain into joy.

And may God bless us with enough foolishness to believe that we can make a difference in this world, so that we can do what others claim cannot be done.

Franciscan Benediction

0 comments: